Call-A-Cab works like Uber by allowing customers to call you directly, instead of the call going through a dispatcher. It is faster than Uber because you are talking to the customer immediately to discuss your ETA and Special Pickup instructions, which is difficult to do with Uber. Call-A-Cab does not set or collect fares, so you can accept Cash or Credit Cards (PayPal works too). Uber is a Download and Credit Card ONLY.
THERE ARE THINGS YOU MUST DO TO MAKE CALL-A-CAB WORK AT ITS BEST:
- Put the 'Flying Android Icon' in the bottom app bar so it is always on top and can be clicked on without searching for it. See Photo at end of this page.
- The Driver App only has one large button that checks you IN or OUT of the map. Only be checked 'IN' if you are available to take calls. Always check 'OUT' when busy or off duty.
- Call-A-Cab is a website, not an app. So, marketing is different. The dispatch 'hold' message will direct customers to taxiabq.com. Drivers should give every passenger a Call-A-Cab Card that explains how to use the website to contact the closest driver instead of calling dispatch. (There is a space on the card to put your telephone number, but calling the closest driver is preferable.) It will take a year or so, but eventually there will be thousands of regular users.
- Are you on a Phone Tree and using ZELLO? Call-A-Cab is superior to Phone Trees because your phone only rings for you because you are the closest cab to the customer. Phone Trees are limited to 2-3 drivers and odds are you may be too far away to service the call, but Call-A-Cab can track unlimited numbers of cabs. If you get a call and refuse it . . . maybe you forgot to 'check out' of the map . . . tell the customer you just went off duty and to call the next closest cab, and check OUT of the map ASAP.
- Some drivers figure out the app download right away and some need to stop by my office for help. My office is Downtown at Broadway and Gold, and you can also find me marked as MGR on the GPS map.
- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED -- Get a Bluetooth Speaker/Speakerphone. You can play music off your Smartphone and they automatically mute when your phone rings. I used a CRAIG CMA3569. Check online or Pep Boys. Sound quality on Speakerphone was excellent.
Sending Interval is Default at 1 Minute
Tracking ID will be texted to you by the Map Manager.
Auto Interval increases GPS location updates with speed
Auto Start on Powerup is always checked
Use Network Location? This helps when GPS signals are weak
3. Text your manager for your unique tracking ID and 'copy/paste' ID# into the Settings Panel.
2. Once downloaded, Install the app. You will be prompted to go to Security and Check the Unknown Sources box.
1) Click on Image Below to Download the GPS tracking app. Select 'Regular Version' for your type of phone, e.g., Android. There is an iPhone tracking app, but it is not free and there are problems because Apple does not allow the app to operate in the background. So, iPhone is not supported and getting a cheap Android Smartphone-Data Plan for taxi tracking is recommended. Keep your iPhone for personal use.
WARNING: DO NOT DOWNLOAD COVERT VERSION. IF YOU INSTALL COVERT, YOU MAY HAVE TO FACTORY RESET THE PHONE TO REMOVE IT.
4. Find the 'flying android' icon in 'Apps' and move to the bottom right of your main screen. This makes opening the app for Checking IN/OUT simple and avoids distracted driving. Once open, the 'open apps' button lower left on your phone can access it quickly.
FINALLY, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY,
YOU HAVE CONTROL OVER YOUR GPS TRACKING
Only 'CHECK IN' when you are available to take calls from customers.
- Because if you are unavailable and a customer uses the map to call and picks you, you have blocked the call from going to an AVAILABLE DRIVER, thus compromising the system.
- When a manager or dispatcher calls you to service a fare, the first question should not be, 'Are you Available.' It should be assumed that if you are on the map you are going to pick up your phone for a call.